2011년 6월 14일 화요일

SCVMM: Error 2944

When I tried to create a VM in console, an error was occurred as the following: 


Error 2944 
VMM is unable to complete the requested operation because the server name could not be resolved.


Another symptom during creation in Jobs window of the console was that presented wrong size of the VHD file. 

Figure 1. Jobs in SCVMM, The file size is different from the original size.


As the picture shown in Figure 1, the size was showed as (0 KB / 93.13GB), but the original size was about 10GB. It didn't make sense.


Resolution Steps
1) First, I ran nslookup. It was nothing wrong with both SCVMM and the hosts.


2) I executed ping by IP addresses and hostnames. All pings by IP were succeeded, however, I found that It couldn't find SCVMM from the hosts when I ran ping by hostname. (It was OK to execute ping by hostname to the hosts on SCVMM)

Figure 2. Diagnosis result (ping by hostname)


3) I checked the DNS server. All of servers were registered with no problem.


4) I examined the firewall on all servers. There were OK.


Tip) If you couldn't find a specific server IP, one of checking points would be the firewall. If "File and Printer Sharing" is unchecked, ping fails.

Figure 3. Windows firewall


5) I restart DNS clients on the hosts.
The reason that I restart those services was that there were two kinds of System Centers in the infrastructure, one is SCVMM - this was server that had problem and the others is SCOM. - ping worked fine from SCOM to the hoses and vice versa. So I and my colleague, a system engineer, concluded that the hosts would be a problem and restart services related to DNS. 

Figure 4. Restart DNS Client on service manager

After restart these services, ping by hostname on the hosts reached to SCVMM.
Gone back to SCVMM, I tried to create a VM again, the job was succeeded.
Above Mentioned the wrong size of the VHD file (93.13GB), this symptom haven't been showed since this.




Reference site which describes DNS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd197427(WS.10).aspx

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기