2011년 6월 9일 목요일

SCOM: Does Linux need to join in AD?

Windows computers must join in active directory to be managed by SCOM. So, what if Linux computer? Do administrators have to make Linux join in AD before SCOM agent installation on each computer?


At first, I had manual procedures of AD joining for Linux computers, setting time synchronizationauthentication configuration and modify samba service. After complete these configurations, it just worked. In other words, the discovery wizard of SCOM found those machine well. 


I tried to do this another way. I made up it without AD joining.
I created a VM running CentOS. I was setting hostname("centomtest") and a static internal IP("10.1.1.121"). after that, I tried to discovered this VM via the Wizard. But it failed.

Figure 1. Discovery wizard: Fail to resolve machine


And I manually registered the static IP address to DNS server. AD and DNS were combined in one server. I only registered it only the DNS server not AD.

Figure 2. Add a new host in DNS server.


This time, It worked from the discovery wizard.

Figure 3. Discovery wizard: Linux server was found successfully 

As a result, Linux computers don't need AD joining. They just need to be registered in DNS server.

However, what would happen if the IP address change?
SCOM will produce an error. It would be about Heart failure.
Administrator manually needs to change the record in DNS server.

Figure 4. When IP address of the Linux server is changed , SCOM shows an error. It fails to communicate to the server.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기